At LoftShare, we are committed to providing our users and customers with exceptional service. As providing this service involves the collection, use and disclosure of some personal information about our users and customers, protecting their personal information is one of our highest priorities.
We will inform our users and customers of why and how we collect, use and disclose their personal information, obtain their consent where required, and only handle their personal information in a manner that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in the circumstances.
This Personal Information Protection Policy outlines the principles and practices we will follow in protecting users’ and customers’ personal information. Our privacy commitment includes ensuring the accuracy, confidentiality, and security of our users’ and customers’ personal information and allowing our users and customers to request access to, and correction of, their personal information.
Scope of this Policy
This Personal Information Protection Policy applies to LoftShare Inc.
This policy also applies to any service providers collecting, using or disclosing personal information on behalf of LoftShare.
- Personal Information
- Information about an identifiable individual (E.g. including but not limited to name, age, home address and phone number, social insurance number, income, credit history, education, employment information). Personal information does not include contact information (described below).
- Contact Information
- Information that would enable an individual to be contacted at a place of business and includes name, position name or title, business telephone number, business address, business email or business fax number. Contact information is not covered by this policy.
- Privacy Officers
- The individuals designated responsibility for ensuring that LoftShare Inc complies with this policy.
Policy 1 – Collecting Personal Information
- Unless the purposes for collecting personal information are obvious and the user or customer voluntarily provides his or her personal information for those purposes, we will communicate the purposes for which personal information is being collected, either orally or in writing, before or at the time of collection.
We will only collect users and customers information that is necessary to fulfill the following purposes:
- To verify identity;
- To verify creditworthiness;
- To identify user and customer preferences;
- To open and manage an account;
- To deliver requested products and services;
- To ensure a high standard of service to our users and customers;
- To meet regulatory requirements;
- To assess suitability for tenancy;
- To collect and process rent payments
Policy 2 – Consent
We will obtain users’ and customers’ consent to collect, use or disclose personal information (except where, as noted below, we are authorized to do so without consent).
Consent can be provided orally, in writing, electronically or it can be implied where the purpose for collecting using or disclosing the personal information would be considered obvious and the user or customer voluntarily provides personal information for that purpose.
Consent may also be implied where a user or customer is given notice and a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of his or her personal information being used for mail-outs, the marketing of new services or products and the user or customer does not opt-out.
Subject to certain exceptions (e.g., the personal information is necessary to provide the service or product, or the withdrawal of consent would frustrate the performance of a legal obligation), users and customers can withhold or withdraw their consent for LoftShare Inc to use their personal information in certain ways. A user’s or customer’s decision to withhold or withdraw their consent to certain uses of personal information may restrict our ability to provide a particular service or product. If so, we will explain the situation to assist the user or customer in making the decision.
We may collect, use or disclose personal information without the user or customer knowledge or consent in the following limited circumstances:
- When the collection, use or disclosure of personal information is permitted or required by law;
- In an emergency that threatens an individual's life, health, or personal security;
- When the personal information is available from a public source (e.g., a telephone directory);
- When we require legal advice from a lawyer;
- For the purposes of collecting a debt;
- To protect ourselves from fraud;
- To investigate an anticipated breach of an agreement or a contravention of law
Policy 3 – Using and Disclosing Personal Information
We will only use or disclose user or customer personal information where necessary to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of collection or for a purpose reasonably related to those purposes such as:
- To conduct user or customer surveys in order to enhance the provision of our services;
- To contact our user or customer directly about products and services that may be of interest;
We will not use or disclose user or customer personal information for any additional purpose unless we obtain consent to do so.
We will not sell user or customer lists or personal information to other parties unless we have consent to do so.
Policy 4 – Retaining Personal Information
If we use user or customer personal information to make a decision that directly affects the user or customer, we will retain that personal information for at least one year so that the user or customer has a reasonable opportunity to request access to it.
Subject to policy 4.1, we will retain user or customer personal information only as long as necessary to fulfill the identified purposes or a legal or business purpose.
Policy 5 – Ensuring Accuracy of Personal Information
We will make reasonable efforts to ensure that user or customer personal information is accurate and complete where it may be used to make a decision about the user or customer or disclosed to another organization.
User or customer may request correction to their personal information in order to ensure its accuracy and completeness. A request to correct personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information and the correction being sought.
If the personal information is demonstrated to be inaccurate or incomplete, we will correct the information as required and send the corrected information to any organization to which we disclosed the personal information in the previous year. If the correction is not made, we will note the user’s or customer’s correction request in the file.
Policy 6 – Securing Personal Information
We are committed to ensuring the security of user and customer personal information in order to protect it from unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification or disposal or similar risks.
The following security measures will be followed to ensure that user and customer personal information is appropriately protected:
- the use of user IDs, passwords, encryption, firewalls;
- restricting employee access to personal information as appropriate (i.e., only those that need to know will have access;
- contractually requiring any service providers to provide comparable security measures.
We will use appropriate security measures when destroying user’s and customer’s personal information such as:
- deleting electronically stored information
We will continually review and update our security policies and controls as technology changes to ensure ongoing personal information security.
Policy 7 – Providing User or Customer Access to Personal Information
Users and customers have a right to access their personal information, subject to limited exceptions, including but not limited to:
- disclosure would reveal personal information about another individual
- health and safety concerns
A request to access personal information must be made in writing and provide sufficient detail to identify the personal information being sought.
Upon request, we will also tell users and customers how we use their personal information and to whom it has been disclosed if applicable.
We will make the requested information available within 30 business days, or provide written notice of an extension where additional time is required to fulfill the request.
A minimal fee may be charged for providing access to personal information. Where a fee may apply, we will inform the user or customer of the cost and request further direction from the user or customer on whether or not we should proceed with the request.
If a request is refused in full or in part, we will notify the user or customer in writing, providing the reasons for refusal and the recourse available to the user or customer.
Policy 8 – Questions and Complaints: The Role of the Privacy Officers
The Privacy Officers or designated individuals are responsible for ensuring LoftShare Inc’s compliance with this policy.
Users and customer should direct any complaints, concerns or questions regarding LoftShare Inc’s compliance in writing to the Privacy Officers. If the Privacy Officers are unable to resolve the concern, the user or customer may also write to the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario.
Contact information for LoftShare Inc’s Privacy Officers:
Address: 222 College St., Suite 106, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5T 3J1
Address: 222 College St., Suite 106, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5T 3J1